Smart Home Items – Top 20 List
Technology is all around us and this leads to some innovative smart home devices. Whether it is a toaster oven, a lightbulb, or a thermometer, there is no end to just how smart your home can become.
To help you navigate this increasingly robust category, we listed our favorites.
If you want the ability to print fun pictures at your own convenience, then the HP Sprocket Printer is a great smart home device.
Prints are HD quality and are rendered specifically for social media photos: Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, etc.
** Best part – Sprocket connects via Bluetooth to your phone or tablet
Once connected you’re able to print onto high quality 2×3 inch photo paper. Prints are super high quality and your photos will have a bright, glossy look to them.
Be careful though – the special stick-able paper your photos are printed on can become expensive.
- Portable so it can be used at home or party (anywhere really!)
- Uses Bluetooth connectivity so there are no wires
- Connect to the HP app to customize pictures before printing them
- Creates 2×3″ pictures that also act as stickers
- Light in weight at only 6 ounces
- Photo paper can become expensive if this product is used regularly
- Not meant for every day pictures; rather it is best for fun, social pictures
The Vintar LED Toilet Night Light just be the solution to a problem you didn’t know existed.
If you’re tired of turning on a light in the middle of the night when nature calls, then this product will help.
Toilet bowl light comes with a built-in motion sensor which can detects body heat and automatically turns brighter when you’re near. Toilet lights include 16 colors and 5 levels of brightness.
Not an expensive item – it’s cheaper than you think!
- Works with a built-in motion sensor and body heat detection
- Automatically lights up the room and turns off when you leave
- Has the option of 16 different colors that can be rotated
- There are 5 different brightness levels for individual preference
- Fits any toilet, no matter the size
- Comes with s 12-month warranty and 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Needs 3 AA batteries which are not included
- Sensor can be a bit sensitive
If you want to bring note-taking to the future, the Rocketbook Wave Smart Notebook is the next step!
Using a special pen and mobile app, notes are easily uploaded online through a number of mediums: Google Docs Dropbox iCloud Evernote and Email
Once you’ve filled the notebook, simply put it in the microwave to erase everything (true story!)
Definitely one of the coolest items on our list!
- 1-Reusable notebook
- Simply microwave to remove what is written and start fresh
- What is written can easily be uploaded to Dropbox, iCloud, Google Docs and email
- 80-pages which are renewable 5x
- Binding is made of polypropylene
- Previous writing remains faintly
- It’s somewhat expensive (I was a little shocked)
- Might be easier to use a computer, but this is cooler!
Withings Body Scales gives a lot more info than a typical bathroom scale – Full Body Composition Analysis
(*Withings = owned by Nokia)
Stats and metrics are provided through their mobile app. Through the ‘Nutrition Tracking’ you can set goals and see how you’re pacing to achieve them.
– Your weight– Percentage of water in your body– Body fat percentage– Muscle-to-body ratio
Online reviews note that it’s fairly accurate, although not perfect.
Still, it’s a neat gadget with a beautiful design. Your bathroom won’t be the same with it!
- Will recognize body profiles of up to 8 users
- Records data of each user
- Full body composition metrics include weight, water percentage and fat/muscle/bone breakdowns
- Information is also send to an app to view in detail
- 4 AAA batteries will give scale a life of 18 months
- Includes local weather on the display screen
- As you’d expect, stats are not always 100% accurate (compared to a doctors office)
The Withings Smart Thermometer is an easy to use smart device that works for all ages groups.
How does it work?
Simply scan it across the forehead to give it a reading. Results are displayed on the thermometer + the mobile app will send you a detailed overview.
Thermometer results can be stored for up to 8-users.
Parents with children love it – strong online reviews! See Reviews >
- Measures from the temporal artery, found on the forehead
- Simply scan across forehead
- Receive a temperature reading quickly on an LED display
- Data is sent to an app where you can track previous recordings
- App allows you to set appointment reminders and look for medical advice
- Can store the information for up to 8 users
- Includes 2 AA batteries
- Temperature readings are fairly accurate, but its best to take a couple different readings to really make sure
Household air quality is becoming a thing – you’d be amazed how much dust and allergens are floating around.
To help, try the Conway Air Purifier – it has an beautiful design that blends in with most home décors and will filter air quality in rooms up to 330 sq. ft. There’s also a Pollution Sensor which will tell you the air quality in real-time.
- Sleek and compact in design
- Can purify the air in a room up to 330 square feet
- Has an automatic speed control
- Cycles through 4 stages of filtration: pre, carbon, true HEPA, and vital Ion
- Light indicates when filter needs to be changed
- Pre-filter is washable
- Includes a pollution sensor that indicates what the current air quality is
- HEPA filter not fit as snug as it should
Tired of remembering when to feed your cat? Worried about making it home in time from work to feed your dog?
The PetSafe Automatic Feeder allows you to program your pet’s meals so that they never go hungry. Well designed product that will also save you time – yes please!
- Set up to 12 different meal times per day
- Can also add a spontaneous feed if your pet is especially hungry
- Meal sizes range from 1/8 cup to 4 cups
- Can be controlled by your smartphone, either Apple or Android
- Is easy to clean with a removable lid and bowl that are dishwasher-safe
- Powered by both an adaptor and backup battery
- Can be knocked over by larger pets
- Make sure Wi-Fi signal is always strong, otherwise it might disconnect
The Ring Doorbell uses Wi-Fi technology to connect you with your home, even when you’re not there.
Doorbell features include HD Video and noise-cancelling audio.
When someone comes to your door a motion sensor is activated and you’ll get an instant alert on your phone.
Two-way audio speakers let you talk with your guest through your mobile.
- Wi-Fi enabled and can connect to smartphone, PC or tablet
- You can hear and speak to whomever is at your front door whether you are at home or not
- HD video is nice and clear
- Comes with infrared night vision so you can see who is there at night
- Audio is two-way so visitors can communicate with you
- Able to stream video and audio at all times
- Since doorbell is connected to WiFi, the connection can go out
The TaoTronics LED Desk Light combines modern style and 6 adjustable brightness levels.
Great way to spice up a room for fairly cheap.
- Metal body has a sleek and modern design
- Lamp head is adjustable for many angles
- There are 5 color modes with 6 brightness levels so personal preference can be achieved
- Functions include night light
- 60-minute timer setting
- Light is a cooler shade and not a very warm color
If you’ve ever wondered just how good the air around you is, then look to the Awair Air Quality Monitor for answers.
While the machine is stylish and has an app with a lot of data on it, for the price tag is a little high. Still the simplicity and functionality is a lovely thing to have around the house.
- Monitors the amount of dust, CO2 and toxins in the air
- Records the temperature and humidity
- More information and analysis can be found through the app
- Able to connect with other Smart Home technology such as Amazon Alexa and Nest
- Device is made from natural materials
- Quite expensive
- Analysis could be more detailed, especially for the price
The Nest Carbon Monoxide Alarm works to create a smart and safe home.
It measures carbon monoxide levels and detects smoke, which leaves you protected. It’s also elegantly designed, unlike most other smoke detectors.
- Detects both smoke and carbon monoxide
- Instead of beeps, the alarm talks to you and alerts you of the specific danger
- Clear warning when batteries are about to die
- Works with Nest to create a true smart home
- Connect to Wi-Fi for an added layer of protection with alerts on your smartphone
- Some technological flaws be encountered when connecting to Wi-Fi
- Nest products come with a big price tag
To get a truly smart home, its important to look at everything, including the light bulbs
Philips Hue Kit comes in a package of two or four light bulbs and while the price is a bit hefty, they can be controlled with the ease of an app on your smartphone.
- Comes in a package of 2 or 4 lightbulbs
- A19 60-Watt LED lightbulbs
- Wi-Fi connected and compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- Lightbulbs are dimmable
- App might not work well all the time
Oral health is important, and a good smart home device for your teeth is the FairyWill Electric Toothbrush.
Helps keep your teeth cleaner than a manual toothbrush will and the interchangeable brushes are simple to attach.
- Removes more plaque and stains than a regular manual toothbrush
- 40,000 micro-brush strokes per minute
- Can be used for 30 days after a 4 hour charge
- 5 modes: sensitive, clean, white, polish, and massage
- Battery die earlier than expected
- Brush head is smaller than other models
The Breville Toaster Oven allows you to cook your favorite foods in a convenient appliance.
It can tackle up to six pieces of toast and is large enough for a 13-inch pizza. You have to monitor your cooking, though, as the oven temperature can be off by a few degrees.
- Pre-set cooking functions: bake, roast, broil, pizza, cookies, bagel, rehear, slow cook, and warm
- As efficient as a 6-slice toaster
- Inside has a non-stick coating
- Convection oven option allows for even distribution of heat and quicker cooking times
- Temperature might not be accurate
YTE Mini Plug Outlets allow you to transform all your electronics into smart home devices.
Once plugged in, your light, stereo, and even TV can be turned on or off through their mobile app.
Plug works with most outlets and voltages. You also connect it for voice activation to your Google Home or Amazon Alexa.
While it’s a nice household item, supplying your entire home might be too much. We suggest testing with a 2-4 pack before going all-in on several of them.
- Works as a Wi-Fi adaptor to connect all your appliances through an app
- Can schedule when each appliance turns on and off
- Lights and other electronics can be turned on, even if you are not at home
- Comes with a 12-month warranty
- Not too expensive
- Has a history of not working after a while
The TP-Link Light Switch turns all of your lights into smart home devices.
Anything that is operated with the light switch can be turned on or off with the product’s app. However, because the light switch uses Wi-Fi to operate, there be some connectivity issues.
- Lights can be turned on or off via an app
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- Uses the Kasa app on your smartphone
- Works as long as there is a WiFi connection
- Connection issues with WiFi
Having a smart home device is not just about the inside. It’s about the outside too.
With the Rachio Sprinkler Controller, you don’t have to wake up early or stay up late to water the garden. This is a sophisticated piece of technology, so there be some software issues along the way.
- Automatically turn on your water sprinkler so that your garden stays healthy all year long
- App provides important data such as how much water is used
- You can save money by ensuring that plants aren’t overwatered
- Connects with amazon Alexa, Nest, and others
- Some online reviews note software issues
If you can’t decide which picture to frame from the hundreds on your phone, invest in the SSA Digital Photo Frame so that you don’t have to choose.
You can cycle through your pictures or even show a video.
- Pictures can be shown as a slide show
- Connect with a USB stick or SD card
- Supports movie files
- Includes built-in speaker and a headphone jack
- Can be difficult to get it to work perfectly
Straight out of a spy movie is the Verifi Biometric Safe.
Instead of using a PIN to lock it, the safe relies on fingerprint technology. It is a very smart home device, and because of this has a hefty price tag.
- Does not use a PIN code
- Relies on fingerprint recognition to open
- Accommodates up to 40 fingerprints
- Technology is FBI certified
- Features include and LCD display, stealth mode, and tamper alerts
- Expensive and not for everyone
If you want to be notified of anyone entering your house through a door or a window, the Iris Contact Sensor can help you.
Easy to install and comes with an app that can be used through a smartphone. The price is affordable, which also means that the sensor has a history of connectivity issues.
- Can be used on windows, doors, or cabinets
- Monitors when something is opened or closed
- Installation is easy and convenient
- Iris app can be accessed on both Android and Apple smartphones
- Compatible with Iris Smart Home System
- History of disconnecting multiple times
Top 10 Best Air Purifiers Home Dehumidifiers for Best Belgian Waffle Makers10 Home Robot Vacuum Cleaners Top 10 Best Ice Makers